Monday, August 31, 2009

For the New School Year

Sigh. The last real day before classes...Coincidentally, my birthday always has a bittersweet arrival, because it signals the end of summer, the commencement of a new time, the end of dripping moist possibilities and instead the thin crackly veneer of icy hope and aspiration. For this school year, I have a couple of expectations, hopes, and demands. (Yes, demands!) I want this to actually be an ok year, and I'd like to feel like I got something out of my two years here, so here are my plans.
1) To be well, physically. I'd really like to avoid any recurrence of last year's tendonitis, at all costs. I vow to take care of myself physically, and do everything in my power to avoid reinjury, aid strengthening, and target my physical issues.
2) To be happy, and if the conditions at school do not encourage immediate joy, then I need to work at it. Conditions are already present for happiness, I just have to acknowledge them.
3) To be social, when appropriate. I had a few moments of selective hibernation, and I'd like to be socially pro-active, when possible.
4) To learn the most about teaching and work the hardest at becoming a better teacher.
5) To learn some sweet contemporary music and to get involved with others who are interested in the same.
6) To organize or participate in some outreach performances, whether solo or with piano, chamber group, etc. This is a very direct way to give back with music.
7) To take GOOD classes, or at least decent ones. Last years were a bust.
8) To get back into yoga, when my wrist is functional.
9) To participate in the Blooming Lilac sangha, and find a community of people there that share similar goals and aspirations.
10) To follow the 5 mindfulness trainings as best I can. :)

I'm sure that there are plenty of other things that I should be thinking of, but this seems like a pretty thorough list for now.
September has beaten the crap out of August in terms of temperature, but I'm hoping August will fight back in a week or so. Till then, it's sweater time.

1 comment:

Sarai said...

yay for all of your goals! i hope you have a great year, Kayliegh :)