Wednesday, August 5, 2009

More Musings

I've been having a good time here at Orford, although we certainly have LOTS of viola masterclasses- it almost makes Banff look like a vacation! We've been having 4-6 hours of class a day, which is pretty intense. We all play 3 times during the week, and today I played both Theofanidis and some Ligeti. Tomorrow, we are doing a tag-team style version of the Ligeti sonata- 4 of us will play some movements. Should be interesting, seeing that today was the 2nd time I've ever played "Loop" for Anyone!!!! Obviously, Kim wouldn't have allowed me to play if it really sucked, so that's a redeeming thought. It's also great to be learning these pieces in such depth, since everyone is working on Kurtag or Ligeti, for the most part. I'm also always glad to be sharing the Theofanidis with people who may not be familiar with it, since I really think it's a magical piece. All in all, I'm really learning a lot, although I wish we could stick with 4 hours of class rather than 6...

currently listening to: garth knox's viola spaces!

No comments: