Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Concert Lineup for fall 2010!


I know that most of my friends that occasionally read this are not Bostonian in nature, but I'm posting my confirmed and possible concerts for the fall, since I'm planning ahead, and would like people to go with me to shows!  So here's what's coming to Boston in the early fall of 2010:

(Rochester 8/28-My Morning Jacket is coming, and I haven't decided whether or not I'm interested in going.  Food for thought.  Also, Lady Gaga is already booked to come to Boston in March of 2011.  That's so far in the future, I can't handle it, just like her futuristic clothing?)

9/7-Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin and Telekinesis.  Two underappreciated indie bands, and Telekinesis had that awesome song last year and a decent album.  Even though it's a Tuesday, could be worth investigating?
9/11-School of Seven Bells: I really like their new album. They have a nice female voice texture.
9/11-Jamie Lidell.  Soulful white people singing.  Love it.  And he's British?
9/12-Vampire Weekend, with Beach House opening, at the Bank of America pavilion on the waterfront.  *I'm definitely going to this.  I've purchased two tickets.
9/13-Dirty Projectors with Owen Pallett (aka. final fantasy) opening.  *Definitely going.  Tickets purchased, even though it will be back to back tunes.

9/16: Janelle Morae with Of Montreal.  That's a hot duo-there will be glitter, spandex, and lots of eyeliner and dancing.  I saw Of Montreal three years ago, and it was terrific, and Morae has got some serious style.  She makes me want to go to a vintage store immediately and embrace androgyny.  Who knew women could look so awesome in tuxes???

9/17: Broken Social Scene and The Sea and Cake.  BSS dropped a really solid album this year "Forgiveness Rock Record" which has turned out to be a surprise success.  
9/18: Pavement-ultimate 90's alternative band, making a comeback tour.  and Cake! on the same night, just not together.  I will probably be out of town for this, as I accidentally bought tickets to see Vampire Weekend at Radio City Music Hall for 9/17...
9/22: Field Music. I don't know them super well-I've heard a few tracks, and they just dropped a new album, but it's cheap and could be worth investigating.
9/23: Stars. This Montreal based pop group tends to have overly dramatic ballads, a la "Your ex-boyfriend is dead" from the O.C.  I'm kind of over them, but many people are turned to silly putty with their swirling harmonies.  I definitely listened to this song a gazillion times when I bought this album.

9/25: Teenage Fanclub.  Nick Hornby's favorite softy British band has some lovely songs.  They're super  under the radar, but quite nice actually.
9/30: Menomena.  I used to be into them, but I haven't listened to them lately.
10/1: Young at Heart Chorus.  This is the group that was featured in a documentary a few years ago-old folks singing hip contemporary tunes, a la Glee for old folks!
10/1: Ra Ra Riot-upstate New York's stringey band is one of my personal fav's, and they have a new album coming out stat.  I loved the first album, since I'm a sucker for a little ballad action sometimes.

10/5: Ratatat. We all remember Kid Cudi's collab with Ratatat and MGMT, right? "Pursuit of Happyness" is a tight song. Just checking
10/7: Cotton Jones featuring Pepper Rabbit.  I only know Pepper Rabbit-but Cotton Jones has a sort of soulful thing going on. (The opening to this Pepper Rabbit reminds me of the opening of an Elliottt Smith song.)
10/10-The Octopus Project.  Once again, curious, but not necessarily committed.
10/13-Casiotone for the Painfully Alone.  I'm curious, but not necessarily going. They have a fabulously depressing collection of music videos.
10/29-Frightened Rabbit and Plants and Animals.  I really liked the first Plants and Animals album.
11/1-Blonde Redhead.  I went through a dark depressing time where I listened to a lot of Blonde Redhead.


And last, but not least,
11/19-Boys II Men.  Ok, I'm not going, nor am I planning to.  I just thought it was excellent, and it made me want to slow dance at a middle school dance.

That's the preliminary concert calendar for popular music-more posted as I decide what to go to.

In other news, I'm embarrassed to say that I've been watching Glee, and that it sometimes makes me cry because it's so sappy.  


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice! I'm definitely down for Sept 12th! and probably many more...just as I will probably be employed by then? I'm ready for concert-going as soon as my wallet joins me!