Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Amazing

I have so many things that I want to write about, now that I have functional internet, but for the time being, let me say that I am no longer in Banff anymore, and that it was a balmy 95 degrees when I stepped off the plane into Los Angeles on Saturday afternoon.  (After having gone to bed for an hour and a half, waking up, and having it be 45 degrees).  It was a pretty trippy Saturday, especially without the sleep, and since Friday night was pretty insane, just since people become so nice when it's the last day of a festival, and in the spirit of Banff, everyone had some lovely beers.  Many lovely beers.  I was also especially proud of myself for finally gathering the courage to talk to this person, whom I knew had just started their masters at NEC, and whom I had tried to talk to the whole time I was there, but since he was part of the McGill clique, I never succeeded.  I finally achieved a basic conversation win, by 2 AM, once everyone had had at least 2-3 drinks, and he was nice, even though he had sort of been a jerk for the whole festival.  It was pretty silly, actually, since he is living with one of my friends next year.  Silliness.  Anyway, more on Banff and the closure of the festival, but let's focus on the most current events.
     I went to see the bands She & Him, the Bird and the Bee, and the Swell Season last night, at the Hollywood Bowl, and it was awesome.  All three groups are boy-girl pairs, with backup musicians, and the female representation was Fierce.  (Here's the newest She/Him music video.)  It turns out that Zooey Deschanel can really sing!  She can truly belt it, and that was so awesome to witness.  Inara George of the Bird and the Bee was also good, if a little subdued, but I absolutely adore her covers of Hall and Oates songs.  The Swell Season was solid (They're the couple from the Movie "Once") if not a bit male dominated, in terms of presence, song writing, and vocal harmonies.  Glen Hansard took most of the lead vocals, and did most of the talking, although he has a wonderful voice and a very charismatic presence.  I just wish that Marketa would've been a bit more active, it was almost like she was watching him and observing his performance as much as we were.  But it was lovely to see women in music in such a powerful and significant role in each group.

 I've arrived in my new festival, The Montecito festival, in Santa Barbara, and let me tell you, it is no Banff.  No room service, no fancy food, no nightly bar trips.  But maybe that's for the best.  On that note, let me leave you with this video from Broken Social Scene-political, but a great song from their newest album.



listening to: She & Him

No comments: