Sunday, July 11, 2010

A wild and crazy evening of existential proportions

So on Friday, I went to bed at 8 AM.  Let me correct that, and say that I went to bed on Saturday at 8 AM, rather than Friday night.  Why?  Well, I'm not entirely sure, exactly, but it ended up being a fascinating night of discussion, and me acting as the mom in my group of friends, and keeping them from doing things epically stupid.  (Although dumb things did happen.)  Let me retell the evening's events:
10-12 PM: Did a small recording for some Weezer project involving Rivers Cuomo's bedroom recordings from the early 90's, which then are being accompanied by overly dramatic strings.  It was a pretty silly project, and we were only recording snippets of music, and the songs weren't necessarily all that great, but I did it just so I could say that I did it.  I also requested that my name be listed in the booklet as Kayleigh "kmizzle" Miller, viola, so if that ends up happening, it will totally be worth it, as we weren't paid in beer or money.
12:30-2:30: went to the bar on campus, and had a few pitchers with the violas.  I probably had three glasses of beer, and I decided I was done, but the rest of my entourage kept going for it, which meant that they got pretty loopy, and I very quickly established that my new roll was as mother, to make sure that no one regretted the evening.  We witnessed a tragically drunk person fall flat on his back in the bar, and a crew of the sound engineering folks picked him up and took care of him.
2:30-3:30: Had a discussion, in a circle on the floor, about the convergence of good and evil, and what that could mean.  Basically, my friend Brian has been reading this Philip K. Dick sci-fi novel in which good and evil and intertwined within the same force/being, which is only revealed in the end of the story, and he was still reeling with the information.  This gets expanded upon later in the morning, but for now, everyone talks about their religious beliefs, and whether evil is a separate force, and whether Christianity allows such crazy talk.  Our numbers began to decline, as people got drunker and needed to remedy themselves in the water closet, so by 3:30, it was just me and my violist friend (and Bostonian) Brian.  So we got to talking to all those unnecessarily deep things like:
What is perception?  What is reality?  What is knowable, if anything?  Is there a good force in the world, and if not, then what keeps us alive, and happy?  It ended up being an hour and a half conversation that went in circles and didn't necessarily accomplish anything (the consequence of philosophy study) but it was fascinating to realize that in the end, we only know what we think, and everything else is based on our situational perception.  As in colorblindness, hearing loss, or any other sensory distortion, what traditional society defines as "normal" is anything but.  Yet, experience and memory are entirely based in our perceptions and misperceptions of situations, so in essence, there is no absolute truth, or action in any given situation.  This sort of dialogue could go on for days, but let's just stop there and say that reality is complicated.  By 5, we decided we might as well stay up for sunrise, which was around 5:40, and was slightly less than dramatic, but was tender unfolding of darkness into a mystical blue glow into light.  It made us think of one of the kindertotenlieder songs in which the author says that his child, his light has gone out in the night, and if not for the sun's rise, he could not survive the night's clasp.
6-7: In a fit of stupidity (told you it would happen) my friend kicked his flip flop over the railing of the 6th floor balcony, and onto the 5th floor balcony, which are rooms that belong to individual residents.  Now, at 6 in the morning, you can't exactly just wake someone up and say "Hey, I'm an epic idiot.  Can I go on your balcony?" Brian (and I) proceeded to make a variety of fishing pole style devices which were created to knock the shoe off of the porch.  We found a length of rope, and few planks, and proceeded to fool around with this for an hour, until the shoe landed on the concrete in front of the building.  Meanwhile, we saw faculty go for morning runs, elk, people photographing the elk, people photographing the elk look strangely at us, and a few maintenance people gave us a look of disapproval and curiosity.  In the end, Brian succeeded, and I fell asleep in the corner near the heater.  By the time we got the shoe, it was almost breakfast time, and we decided to make it until 7:30, when we would enjoy an warm and delicious hot breakfast, which was indeed one of the tastiest meals I'd had in a while.  There were poached eggs, sauteed mushrooms, hashbrowns, and mediocre croissants, but overall, it was the perfect ending to a very long evening contemplating existence and corporeal beings.

listening to: radiohead

words of the week: Sartorial and Corporeal, both which were used in a masterclass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The perfect all-night adventure: epic moods with a few nice sprinkles of mundane. And with two excellent words to boot!

My fashion/design friend loves this blog...I think it's pretty great too:

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/