Thursday, August 5, 2010

Age, and Realizing That Age is Nothing But a Number

Ok, so lot's of people have said profoundly brilliant things about age and temporal relativity.  We've all heard those sayings...
age is relative
age is for cheese
the best tunes are played on the oldest fiddles
nothing comes automatically with age but wrinkles
age is an issue of mind over matter. if you don't mind it doesn't matter.
do not regret growing older-it is a privilege denied to many.
etc. etc.

But at the end of the day, I have this internal timeline for myself that I probably constructed when I was 17.  I had an idea of what I would achieve by 23 (soon to be 24) and many of those plans haven't quite happened, either because of lack of interest, or just a reevaluation of priorities.  I'm no longer fascinated by orchestra the way I was when I was 18, nor have I attended many orchestral summer festivals.  I haven't really taken a professional orchestra job audition, nor do I really aspire to do so.  Going to this rinky dink festival in California has made me get over myself a little bit, because I feel like such a beach fossil compared to some of these kiddies.
In addition to a master life plan for myself, I judge people by their age.  I know, it's perhaps a little shocking, even for me, to admit, but I sometimes have a difficult time taking 18 and 19 year olds seriously.  I have always erred on the side of being old beyond of my age, which often makes communicating with younger people more difficult, and makes me guarded and uppity at times.  This festival has reminded me that now, as an elder in the field of perpetual education, I can't pull that card.  Six or seven years isn't that much of a difference in the end, and these people will most likely end up being my professional colleagues.  Am I going to look down on someone who wins a job at 30 when I'm  40?  Maybe, but the better approach would be to evaluate based on their personality first, rather than age alone.  I'm quick to dismiss young'uns, and while they are still prone to making stupid mistakes from time to time, it would do me some good to take them a bit more seriously.  Everyone moves at their one pace in maturity, so I may be rejecting a friendship with a young wise person.  (Although I still prefer my friends to be born in the 80's.  It's just less unsettling that way.)  I have to remember that many of my own friends are older than me, and were willing to part with their conceived expectations of age and maturity to befriend me.  Now it's my turn to grow up, and be open to all peoples, regardless of their age.  That's not to say that I'm going to go be everyone's friend, it just means that I want to evaluate people on one less level of bias than I already do.  Judging is inevitable, but peeling off the age-ism card is a good one to toss.

On the bright side, I'm thrilled that California has overturned prop 8 and that I'm in the state just as we speak.  

listening to: a little of everything! Looking forward to a trip to Amoeba records in Hollywood next week-a great chance to get lots of used cd's for cheap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Plus, and you kind of touched on this, the age gap is totally relative as its range of consideration grows older (i.e. 18-25 vs. 25-32), is put in different contexts (family / friends of family, co-workers vs. co-students), and so on...

We're currently in a very cusp-y age area too.