Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Returning from Quebec


What began as a musical trip that I was somewhat dreading ended up becoming a pretty great 2.5 weeks. Granted, I was really excited to be back in a country where I understand the language, and the daily meal does not involve pastries, but overall, my Domaine Forget trip served it's purpose. I left the ROC somewhat unenthusiastically, mostly because everyone else was still at school, graduating, moving, and spending time together, and I was signing up for 10 hours in a car to get to play the obscure Beethoven Quartets for two weeks.
It was really difficult the first week at Domaine-the location was beautiful and all of that, but I hadn't really practiced viola since my recital, and I was in one of those places where I wasn't sure I'd ever want to practice again. (I have since regained that desire, in the last week.) But initially, it was awful. I've always had a bit of a complex playing in quartets, simply because I have done it so rarely. I'm fairly inexperienced in that department, at least in relation to my other musical skills, and I always feel timid and stupid when I'm starting to play in a new group of people. So between the combined efforts of Ludwig Van, my own insecurities, and my lack of enthusiasm about classical music as an art form, the first week kinda sucked, not to mention the fact that most people were from Canada, and were a bit cliquey and that's stupid.
However, music seemed to work it's magic, or I was allured by the prospect of performing enough to get it together. As most of my closer colleagues and friends know, I rather enjoy performing. Not because I play perfectly, or anything like that, but because I love the adrenaline rush, and the feeling of connection with the audience. On a good day, a performance is like a continuum of energy between me and other people, and I feel this amazing rush of sound, feeling, and vibrancy through my body. The allure of that got me pretty excited about our quartet concerts, not to mention the fact that we were playing in a great hall, with good audiences. Once we got to Quebec city, I felt a lot better about my playing, as both a chamber musician, and as a violist. I knew that I wasn't the worst or best violist there, nor was I in the best or worst groups, and I just sort of embraced my groups for what they were and what Beethoven wrote. I am always amazed at how I can go into a zone of concentration and appreciation for pieces that I would never choose to listen to or play (Harold In Italy, Hoffmeister, 18/3...) and it was great. I listened to most of the Beethoven cycle in concert, since we were performing all 16 of them, and I had a pretty great time doing it. I still would rather have been to a contemporary quartet program, or at least a situation with a more diverse repertoire selection, but at the end of the day on Friday, it was amazing to realize that one dead white man wrote the diversity of repertoire that is known as the 16 string quartets. To know that a person can have so much diversity of emotion and expression is amazing, and it's difficult not to admire it, for what it is. It was also necessary for me to realize, once again, that I personally do have a knack for playing the viola, and it may not be a talent that lends itself to an epic musical career, but I do actually enjoy making music, and I forgot that for a while back there. It doesn't mean that I don't want to be in a band, or that I don't want to make green tea chocolate cupcakes as a part-time job-I definitely do. But no matter how I try, I can't erase this classical side of me, even if I want to. I've spent almost 18 years studying it, and it's as much a part of me as my arms or my feet. I needed to remember that, and for that, I am grateful.

Listening to: Florence and the machine

1 comment: