Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Sunny Rainstorm for you

Sun filled rainstorm
Tactile Luminosity
Hand-drawn graphite border
(Lit from Within)


there was an amazing sunny rainstorm today on my way home from teaching (last three weeks here! no more teaching for a few months. yes!) I've begun the daunting and slightly overwhelming task of sorting through my apartment, selling stuff, and donating the rest of it. 800 square feet allows one to spread out one's stuff, and to live in the illusion that one will always have that space (false.) However, I'm trying to take a no prisoners approach to cleaning my apartment-I have a large pile of clothing amassed in the last 9 years, and it's time to get ride of some of those high school duds, even if they fit. I'm thinking a little photographic wake is the best way to send them on their way. Photos to follow, I suppose.
what's most exciting though, is that I have nowhere that I really need to be right now. i have to teach a few lessons here and there, but otherwise, I'm free to be my own agent, and that's rather exhilarating. I don't have too many friends here right now, so I'm really just vegging out, and appreciating the silence and the opportunity to stay in bed late, and nibble on peanut butter chips at night time while drinking white wine and watching the tele. Other points of business are things that I've been observing on the internet(s)-I've been indulging in the internet time now that it works again. Here are some of the finest things I've found lately:



Levi's Pioneer sessions: never did I think that a folksy cover of a disco song could be successful! The covers that have come out are Dirty Projectors, She & Him, and the Swell Season.
Shop Ruche- a great website, like modcloth, but cheaper and ecofriendly.

My boys, (not grizzly bear. my other boys.) Vampire Weekend, have a new video out, which is pretty 80's tastic, and it makes me laugh, because they look hysterical, and only one of them looks decent with the wig. Clearly, John Malkovich had to work harder in "Dangerous Liasions" than anyone else knew.



Urban Outfitters: duh, they sometimes have good stuff, but online, it's amazing! everything is organized, which is totally different from the stores, which are a clutterfuck if ever there was one. The best part though, is the shoes and the shoe sale. How else can I get ten dollar flats in awesome colors?

John Adams' (composer) blog: it's kinda like the Onion, for classical music. Few people I know can make fun of Elliott Carter so courageously.



on the more banal side of musical exploration, I have Kid Cudi's song "Make Her Say" stuck in my head, with Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" simultaneously stuck in there too. Catchy shit, those top 40 hits.

listening to: yacht, beach house, swell season, and more



No comments: