Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sex and the City 2, and why Carrie Bradshaw is Kinda of a B

In the spirit of girliness, novelty, and camerederie, I went with my dear friend to the only English language movie theater in Quebec to see "Sex in the City 2." I probably wouldn't have seen it, at least not in theaters, or ever, since my girly side has been pretty nonexistent for the last two or three years. But I thought, it could be good. Maybe I've changed, or because I haven't watched the series in three and a half years, but most of the characters are pretty self-centered, egotistical, and materialistic, and I found it pretty heinous. A part of me is disappointed in my immediate reaction-I remember sitting around the television every couple of nights, and parceling out a few episodes to watch with my roommates, and having a fabulous time with it. As a show bridging the late nineties and millenium, it was pivotal-for empowering women sexually, fiscally, and otherwise. But at the same time, it reinforced some of the traditional gender/career issues: Carrie Bradshaw has an elusive writing job, but how the heck does she buy all of that stuff? Where does the money come from? Once she's married Mr. Big, he just provides for her in a way that I find mostly disappointing, and she lives this high socialite existence that has no grounding in reality. (I guess the show never had points for reality, and I just soaked it up, like everyone else.) I love Samantha's boldness, but she never has any regard for anything but sexual gratification, at any cost, especially in this movie. I appreciate Charlotte's regard for institutions, family, and everything else, but she doesn't have a job, and she has full-time nanny help, and lives in Manhattan. My pity is decreasing rapidly. The only character with whom I have always liked, for all of her sometimes bitchiness, is Miranda. Because she is powerful, smart, and struggling to combine her career aspirations with having a personal life and a child. I have always appreciated her issues, even if she had a few seasons in which she was mean to Steve in just about every way.
I remember being slightly annoyed when watching the first movie, two years ago, but it didn't bother me enough to take note, I guess. But this time, watching the absolute decadence and disregard for consequences, made me practically ill. The premise of the movie is that Carrie is "happily" married, lives in a very posh apartment, and is still unhappy, and is very mean to Mr. Big, for him not wanting to live the high life all the time. She's basically a super bitch. Then poof! They go on an all-expense paid vacation to the United Arab Emirates, and bring the most fashionably dysfunctional clothing I have ever seen worn in the middle east, land of birkas and sheets. Between the disregard for Islamic culture, and the flagrant materialistic obsession, I was sorely disappointed. I no longer care if someone broke a five thousand dollar bag with a waiting list. I never did, and I maybe just realized it now.
To me, fashion is about finding pieces that don't have to be expensive or couture, and making them go together. It's great if you have the money to buy a few expensive pieces, but when everything you wear is about the label and the designer, I think you're just wasting your money. Individuality means more when you're not fitting into someone else's idea of what's cool, or having $800 pumps in the middle of the desert. I just wish someone had some sense of reality, money, or what's real. Singing karaoke in the middle of the UAE with tons of other women certainly isn't, nor is Liza Minelli officiating at a gay wedding. (Both events occur in the movie.)
I think what draws us in over and again is the dream-of buying anything, of being anything, and of looking amazing and fabulous all of the time. It's a great dream, but I'll settle for my cheap sunscreen and fifteen dollar sandals the next time I'm in the middle east. I'll leave the Bulgari jewelry in the store, and treat my friends with respect and kindness instead.

No comments: