Friday, April 9, 2010

Obsession

So I have been going through my quarterly or biannual "band/indie rock music obsession" phase, which usually occurs on breaks from school, when I indulge in non classical music in excess. This particular binge is thanks to last week's concert, and the hope that I will attend some good shows in the summer, before Canada, part 9. (I've been to Canada 8 or 9 times since I moved to the Roch.) Anyway, on the same line, I had the weirdest dream about the band Grizzly Bear last night, and a less weird one about Vampire Weekend.
In my dream, Grizzly Bear, whose members are moderately clean-cut looking, showed up at the church where I did my Easter gig (Lutheran something in Pittsford) and looked kinda crazy and manic, in that their facial hair was out of control and they looked homeless. They sat in the choir loft, and instead of singing, they read 'the Lorax' for the children's service component. I asked them if they would sing, and the drummer said that it was too early in the morning for their vocal chords to be warmed up. I was really bummed, of course, but I told them that it was fine. Then, the dream gets a little hazy, and I did something really cool or wore something really cool, and the lead singer, Ed Droste, told me I was one of the coolest fans ever, and that I deserved 22 points. (For what?? I don't know.) He said there was some kind of national competition for fans, and that I was a medal contender. (Significance of 22? No idea.) The band then told me that they were going to Cleveland, and that I should go to the show, and that if I was a winner, I would get to go to the Wisconsin show too. That's all I remember. Weird. It definitely has some vague connection with the "Two Weeks" video, which is filmed in a church, and the fact that John and I were discussing the complications of Catholicism before bed. (John is MJ's boyfriend, and we were just having a light chit-chat about how sometimes throwing in Jesus and God references can really taint a spiritually informative homily or sermon.)
I also, in the same evening, had a sweet dream in which I wrote Vampire Weekend a letter, they wrote me back, but at MJ's mom's address in Byfield, MA, and told me that they wanted to hire a personal assistant/musician to do fill work. It was a far less descriptive dream, but equally rewarding. I dropped out of NEC and moved to Brooklyn to live in a closet and cook, clean, and play viola lines. It was dreamy.

currently listening to: Gorillaz, "Plastic Beach".
Currently contemplating: My future. I.e., what the f*$% am I going to do next year. More on that next time.
Currently baking: Sage shortbread and matcha cookies for MJ's recital tomorrow. Success stories and recipes to follow.

No comments: