Monday, July 20, 2009

Redeeming Aspects of Rochester

My dad is visiting me for the week, and as an exercise in optimism, I'm trying to think of some of the more redeeming elements of Rochester. Here are some of my favorite places, and places I'd like to check out:
FOOD
1) Lento: I think this restaurant is awesome. Not only does it feature local and organic foods and drinks, it also has excellent deals on weeknights and really choice vegetarian fare at a reasonable price for a fine dining establishment.
2) Orange Glory: While it is not as close to Eastman as java's, it boasts a fare superior sandwich menu. They make their own veggie burgers and have combinations such as eggplant-roasted pepper, garbanzo bean burgers, and more. And did I mention that the cookies are delightfully soft and delicious?
3) Sticky Lips: Aside from having a slightly kinky name, this BBQ joint features excellent sweet potato fries as well as a host of unusual veggie options in addition to a wealth of meaty delights. Broiled tofu, anyone?
4) Thali of India: Due to Talia's suggestion, this makes my top list of ethnic edibles here in the ROC. It's just your standard example of good Indian buffets and a wealth of choices.
5) EcoBella: Why is there a vegan bakery in Rochester, of all places? I don't know, but I like it. It also features a wealth of gluten-free options, and their chocolate brownies are excellent.
6) 2 Vine: An excellent place for elite drinks, as well as posh French food. A bit pricey, but garlic mashed potatoes, creme brulee, and wine are usually worth it.
7) Cibon: I'm never disappointed here, and I can always depend on good salads and pizzas. Desserts are also good, and Friday night drinks can be quite good here as well.
8) New Health Cafe : I believe this replaced the old "Atomic Eggplant" that I ate at 5 years ago, but I'm not sure. Either way, it's always good to support your local businesses, and this one is as local as can be, with the owner often coming to talk to you. Also has a buffet.
ATTRACTIONS, mostly that I haven't experienced yet
1) Highland Park: I discovered this park in March on a stroll through South Wedge, and I've enjoyed seeing it flourish in the spring and summer. It's also close to EcoBella, which is key.
2) George Eastman House: I know, I know, I just haven't been around to see it. I've played there, but I haven't really soaked up the potential.
3) Genesee River and High Falls: I think this is worth seeing, but I'm not really sure.
4) Memorial Art Gallery: Definitely haven't been there, which is slightly entertaining, since it's so close.
5) Mt. Hope Cemetery: A beautiful and old cemetery in South Wedge near U of R.
6) RoCo: Rochester Contemporary Art stuff. Aside from being across the street from Eastman, I have never managed to go in. I think I should check it out.

Odds and Ends: These are stores and places that I support or that I go to often
1) Abundance Co-op: A 15 minute walk from my house, and it is a small little store that has most of my vegetarian needs. Sometimes things get a bit pricey, so keep watch of what you're buying.
2) Rochester Community Acupuncture: I love this place, and I love acupuncture. It's a sliding scale, so you pay what you can, and I've been really pleased with my experiences there. Also located in the South Wedge near EcoBella.
3) South Wedge Farmer's Market: A small farmer's market located behind Boulder Coffee, which features local produce and some organic selections, as well as raw dairy products and freshly prepared dinner items.
4) Lakeshore Record Exchange: A good place to get new alternative releases as well as peruse the used stuff.
5) Java's and the Spot: While neither has excellent food or drinks, they are dependably mediocre, and are a great place near school to meet people and hang out.

Wishlist:
1) Better recycling throughout the city, as well as recycling binds throughout pedestrian areas.
2) To Feel safer at night, and see more people out and about
3) A Whole Foods or a trader Joe's.
4) More independent businesses, less Wal-Mart's and the like.
5) Redevelopment and better city planning.

1 comment:

Taaalia said...

I am going to keep this list in mind when I come back, because there are some definite things on it that I want to try.

But have fun with yer Dad!

P.S., if you still have not gotten to Sticky Lips by the time I return, we should definitely do that. I love that place. I also want to check out the Contemporary Art place...

P.P.S. Crap. I think I feel a Walmart rant coming on...

I hate Walmart. Because it's everywhere. Big cities. Small towns. And unfortunately, it's where people of lesser income are always going to shop due to prices and convenience of everything being located in one center. Rochester, at least, is large enough that it CAN support any independent businesses, so I think we who live there are pretty lucky in that respect. In the small-town areas where I come from, if a Walmart goes up, everything else goes out of business, and I do mean everything. And man, does that make these areas boring and depressing to live in. My family rants about this a lot because this has happened to so many small towns around where we live and effects a lot of people we know. I think the real issue is that we need a United States less dependent on Walmart.

D'oh. Sorry to get ranty in the comments. I hate Walmart.