Thursday, May 28, 2009

Fighting the Need for Speed

In driving 7+ hours today, as well as during my driving last week, I was observing the driving patterns of the species known as humans.  This group of non-celestial beings has decided that driving rationally will simply not do.  It doesn't matter the circumstance, but cars are striving to pass others constantly, seeking power and speed and superiority.  In a constant power struggle, how can we be ok with our powerlessness?  How can I accept that other cars simply drive faster than 75 mph on a rainy day on a freeway frequented by police?  Each time a car passes me, I feel threatened, as if I'm not good enough for the person passing me.  I'm not fast enough, I'm not a good enough driver, I'm just not enough.  And then I see them in front of me, and I realize they haven't accomplished much.  They're just in front of me, and not behind me.  But we end up in the same place, and we'll probably be there the same time, give or take 4 minutes.  Am I really that bad of a person because I don't drive above 80? Am I really a bad person because I'm not good enough for everyone else?   One must trust that 75 or 70 or 65 (never ever below the speed limit, of course) is the best speed for oneself, and hope that all will be well, no matter what everyone else thinks.

currently watching: angels in america.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO TRUE!!!

Sarai said...

its all about who has the bigger penis. somehow women get caught up in it too. shameful-and dangerous! i too am amazed at how poorly people drive on the freeways here--as if driving a vehicle at 80mph is something to be taken lightly.