Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sufjan Success!

So I went to see Sufjan Stevens on Thursday, and I quite frankly didn't know what to expect.  Depressing banjo music or poppy dancers and sparkles?  Would there be autotune or a carefully selected 10 pitch range?  Music about cancer and depressing midwestern serial killers or songs about love?  Try all of the above.  As he said in the concert, "this is sort of like multiple personality disorder.  Hippy love songs here, autotune there, a little Gaga and a little tron.  But it's all me."  And wow, was it all over the place.  But those were neat and fabulous places nonetheless.  He opened with "Seven Swans" solo with banjo, and then suddenly, the rest of the band joined in with crazy costumes with glow in the dark tape, and they rocked out hardcore.  The rest of the show was mostly new tracks from "The Age of Adz." which I owned, and sort of liked, but by the end of the show, I was in love.  His performance was so convincing and so heartfelt that it made me understand and appreciate his music even more.  I realized that he's kind of a nut, but that everything in his songs comes from personal experience or some profound way of relating to others' experiences.  I've always been compelled by the personal element of his music-his songs tend to be a bit depressing, and his voice, I admit, a tad whiney, but often the underly beauty manifests itself in such a tragic way, as to reflect the great challenges of humanity.  (Besides, what other artist would end a 2 hour + set with John Wayne Gacy, from Illinoise?  Seriously?  As to say, we all have dark secrets inside...)  Enigmatic, mysterious, and don't forget dreamy!  (Google him if in doubt).  He autotuned, he danced, he wore wings, and it was amazing.  Besides, it was sort of funny since there were so many people there who clearly just wanted to hear some depressing banjo jams, and they were out of luck.  It was instead a huge combination of styles and processes, as to say "hey!  I can do more than just be sad.  I can be crazy and colorful and funny and deep and reflective and wear silver hazmats on stage and flashing lites like kanye."  Just like the rest of us.

No comments: