Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Butter Pie Effect

Isn't it strange how one action can change the whole course of successive events in a profoundly short period of time?  For me, at least, that's what happened.  The irony in all of this, is that I know whose opening I will be occupying-it's Anne Aderman's, who in course took Mary-Kathryn's opening when she went to OSQ last October.  Anne got married in the fall, and has decided to move to be with her beau.  Strange?  Yes.  Very.

I in turn had a very nice chat with Roger about my skills and shortcomings as a player, and he was quite supportive, which I needed.  I feel utterly unqualified to be going down there, but I'm sure it'll be fine once I get over my initial terror.  I have been so fortunate to have teachers that really value me as a person and a player, and when prodded, will remind me that I don't suck.  I think that's why I will always love Carol more than almost any teacher I've had.  I felt that she was so quick to analyze me, but right in all ways, and that she could really see and appreciate the gifts I had to offer, while quickly realizing how shitty my bow arm was when I met her.  It's such an amazing feeling when your mentors and role models look at you in a way of respect and care, especially when you can't always do that for yourself.

On the more entertaining side of things, I'm playing in the next rotation of orchestra here at NEC, which means that the concert will be the evening before I fly to Miami for my first trip.  I will also be last stand, or second to last stand, which is pretty bloody hysterical to me.  I will also be playing all German repertoire.  Anyone else amused?  It does make my schedule a little insane, but I almost feel like I should suck it up, since there's a positive social aspect of playing in orchestra, and many of my friends are in this rotation, and I may not see them for a while.  (Did I also mention that I, hater of orchestra, and am actually applying to Tanglewood this year?  I never thought it would happen, but I just happened to fall in a crowd of 5-6 people at NEC that are my closest friends, who are all going back.  I never wanted to go earlier, because I didn't think I would survive that much orchestra.  But since I'm already going off the deep end, I think I'll be fine now.  Also, they have the contemporary players, and I always wanted to be one of those, and this could be a chance to be a Fromm player in the future.  I still might not like all of it, but it's certainly worth a shot.  Anyway, I can only take off 1 week in the spring for summer festival auditions, and TMC is one of the 3 auditions I can take. )

On the flip side, I did my "Where the Wild Things" outreach presentation for 4 preschool and Kindergarten classes this week (electric viola and improvised tunes) and played my piece for electric vla, percussion, and piano on Monday, to decent acclaim.  So I promise to keep it real, wherever I end up.  I don't want to lose sight of my other dreams-the rock/improv/contemporary ones, the baking/yoga/kids books ones.  I'm just going where the universe is telling me to go.  (The universe is also telling me that I'm very pale, and I'm very curious to see what skin tone I could actually become by May.  As a perpetually pasty girl, it will definitely be an adventure...)

Listening to: The Age of Adz by Sufjan.  Listen to it.  Buy it, stream it, live it.

No comments: