Thursday, April 9, 2009

It doesn't all suck! (unless you're being gnawed on by a vampire...)


Life doesn't all suck.  Perhaps my last post did not make that point clear.  My life isn't terrible.  Having an injury isn't ending my life prematurely, even if it did make me crabby and take daily naps. Since my last post, things have drastically improved for me, so there is hope, dear readers, that you too can recover from illness and injury.   Good things:
1) I started to get strength and endurance on Sunday, and have been able to practice almost 2.5 hours a day.  Way to go wrist!
2) I did Reiki level 1 training.  I have new superpowers.
3) I'm still going to do a jury, so my entire future is now in my hands, and I can do the rep I want after the jury.

So things are ok after all, although I did lose about 3 weeks of sanity in the end of March.   Anyway, here are the things I have learned so far:
1) Losing the ability to practice made me really want to practice and play and not take my skills for granted.  (Someone of the more religious perspective said to me that "God injured my tendons because I was getting cocky and proud, and I needed to reaffirm my love in Him to heal myself." I don't know about that...)  But, I do think that losing the ability has made me want to do music more than ever, and be grateful that I can do the music thing.
2) I practice better with a timer.  (I time 20-30 minute sessions now)
3) I learned how to mental practice and really study scores since I couldn't play.
4) I really enjoy teaching my peers and helping them out, which I did more during my injury, and I hope to continue doing.
5) I just learned some technical refinings that will prevent future injuries, so hopefully I'm golden now.
6) I'm more eager to work hard now.
and most importantly, 
I'm happier now.  I just have to keep at it and all will be fine.

Currently listening to: Grizzly Bear, the Islands, and Animal Collective

No comments: