Sunday, March 22, 2009

Injuries suck.

Being injured, in any context, sucks.  Don't let anyone make believe otherwise, because it's a load of crap.  Whether you break an arm, fall off a bike, do something weird in yoga, or whatever, being hurt is a pretty unpleasant experience.  But...
The cool thing is, you can learn a lot from it.  I have, as of late, developed minor tendonitis in my wrist, where my thumb adjoins in the wrist, formally known as De Quervain's tendonitis.  I have managed to keep it pretty much at bay in the last week, by icing and not playing at all, but at first, it was beyond upsetting, since I felt like my life was over.  (it wasn't and it isn't, not yet, at least).  I had to play a little while I was teaching yesterday, and it was ok.  It gotten a little swollen at night time, since I taught for 2+ hours, but hopefully I can start actually playing in baby increments starting tomorrow. But here's some cool stuff I learned:
1) I actually want to play the viola.  This may not seem that amazing to some of y'alls, but it's something that's been up in the air for a while in may life.
2) I actually want a career where I play the viola and don't just teach little kids violin.
3) I want to teach older folks (high school and college) how to play the viola.  
4) Mental practicing is pretty helpful.  And so is solfege.  None of these substitute for the real deal of shredding on a viola, but they are helpful aids, and I appreciate that.  I've also clarified some of my musical ideas on the pieces I'm working on by studying them, rather than focusing on the playing bit.  (Except now, I really really really want to play!!!!)
5) and lastly, it has been basically spring break, part II, since I can't play much, and I'm just doing what I did on spring break, except with more socializing.  So it's really not that bad.
(On a side note, I have also clarified my desire to absorb as much of carol's awesome technical teachings as possible.  I've realized that I only have her for a year more now, and I want to get all of her top secret teaching ideas before I peace out.  I do wish I was the T.A., so I could technically practice this stuff on the right clientele, but for now, I'll just teach whomever seeks me out, and that'll suffice for now.)

Currently listening to: the Dears, Hindemith, (and i went to three sax concerts this weekend, so that counts)

No comments: