Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gala Darling

In the midst of a crazy week down here at NWS-opening hall, concert every night, rehearsal every morning...you get the idea, coupled with super stressed out people, I've been indulging in a new blog.  It's not actually new to the world, just new to me, and it's technically called "the playgirl's guide to radical self-love."  As a design, it's a little girly.  It's a lot girly, in fact, with pink and rhinestones and pictures of the author in crazy clothes and things like that.  But in fact, it's a very interesting blog, with some solid content on it.  Basically, the whole premise of the blog is to talk about "radical self love" which is a fancy way to say "women need to get some serious self-confidence and not be down on themselves."  The author is a 26 year old New Zealander, and while it does go into the self-help arena in many ways, and draw on self-help leaders such as Byron Katie, it manages to be relevant and fun without being too spiritual or dogmatic.
     While I don't know if I want to stay here in Miami Beach for an extended period of time, I'm really loving this practice vacation.  Yeah, it's still socially awkward with the fellows, but I'm having a great time with the subs who've been here all month, and that's great.  And more importantly, I'm having time to work on myself.  I've been feeling better about my worth as a human being and a woman for the past two years, but it's a definite work in progress, and I'm starting to feel the rewards of my work, after so many years of feeling bad about myself.  (And so I guess I'm an advocate of radical self-love too!)  For some tidbits to jump-start your self-evaluation, look at this post from last year's Valentine's Day, and think about how you, or someone you know, could start loving themselves a little bit more.  One of my favorites is this Eve Ensler quote:
“You have to give to the world the thing that you want the most, in order to fix the broken parts inside you.”


And for something a little sillier, here's one of my favorite youtube videos right now: 




It makes me just want to subscribe to Kanye's twitter feed, just so I could get lines like "I make awesome decisions, in bike stores."  Or "french fries are the devil."

No comments: