Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Change of scene

I have arrived in Miami, for part one of my vacation.  The orchestra sounds great, the new hall is beautiful, and the weather has been fabulous.  I went for an amazing run on the beach today, and it was 75.  On the flip side, I have an amazing group of friends in Boston, and I already miss them dearly.  I only have one friend here, and I'm trying to keep from clinging to him like a barnacle, just so that he doesn't end up going batshit crazy with me so early in my time here.  I've already accepted that there will be a bit of a social transition, simply because I haven't done many orchestral festivals, and I don't know a majority of the people in this scene.  I'm sure I'll be fine-it's just not NEC where I came back, and was welcomed with open arms and a bevy of friends, old and new.  (The violists here are NOT as cool as the ones in my studio at NEC).    Anyway, I'm curious to see how this goes, and what people I end up meeting and hanging out with.  I also have to decide how I'm going to pace next semester, since I can't go out every night and just not practice...especially since I'm not sold on this whole orchestral festival thing.  But for now, it's a lovely vacation, with a few close friends, and a really loud brass section to sit in front of.

listening to: kanye's new album, lady gaga, and some beyonce.  I'm in the mood for a dance party.

No comments: