Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Hmm!

On Sunday, I had the good fortunate of winning (yes, me!) a competition (that involved viola!). This was indeed a rare occasion, since:
1) I learned the piece in 2 weeks.
2) I had been feeling quite poorly about my performance, intonation, and abilities as a musician for the week leading up to said competition, mostly due to Melissa Matson and the dreaded RPO audition.
But, I triumphed over my demons of doubt, which is a big deal, and now I get to play Harold In Italy in February, possibly on a much nicer viola than my own. Sigh. I also just discovered that I don't have to rerecord my NWS video, and that my computer was just being stupid and misreading the DVDs! That thrills me, since I have been having a hard time focusing.
But back to me and my competition. The best part is that there had been a lot of animosity from other competitors about the competition, especially from the other studio, and a lot of ego's were competing for the limelight. I laid low all last week, since I still felt badly about how I was playing, and in the end, I only wanted to do my best and not humiliate myself. Erin and Norbrian were so excited when I finished, they thought it was an amazing performance. I just thought I did ok. :) I also made sure to go to meditation 4-6 (good call!) and tried to just focus on confidence and success. And it worked- I just happened to win. But winning was never the goal-the competition just made me work hard and try to outplay myself.

So suck that, haters.

listening to: mgmt, various yo gabba gabba cameo videos.

No comments: